Thursday, 25 September 2014

cygwin , Zim

I tried to set home directory of cygwin instal in windows 7 64 bit.  This article in stackexchange is a awesome guide and works for me. Basically you have to set a home vairable and you have to use mkpasswd utility and mkgroup utility to set your home directory to windows user profile location.

For the last tow days i made extensive search for a personal wiki for recording my notes. I found connectedtext to be awesome. I am willing to pay the 40$ for it. But they dont support Linux. So that means no no. My one goal of working on a wiki is it to have versioning feature. I found that Zim wiki fits all of these needs. But looks ugly and has a learning curve unlike webserver based wiki. I am going to place the wiki notes folder in dropbox. So that i can access my notes from anywhere. Also i am going to place the portable version of zim in the dropbox, so that non availablity of zim wont be a problem. For example in my company network, they block most things and espcially software sites are blocked. So this exe in dropbox will be helpful i think. Since dropbox account is password protected, I get some privacy in my notes.

Edit:
Zim portable  is not a standalone exe but for use through usb drive and it is regular installer. So portable is going out of dropbox.

2 comments:

  1. Howdy, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just
    wondering if you get a lot of spam remarks? If
    so how do you prevent it, any plugin or anything you can suggest?
    I get so much lately it's driving me insane so any support is very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats quite easy. Enable moderation. Then only what you approve will get posted on comments. Since i rarely update this blog, i dont receive tosn of comments, so moderation is quite easy. Further if spammers see that their comment is moderator, it will put them off.

      Delete